Thursday, January 20, 2005

Interesting Day

This morning, as happens every Thursday, I awake to make the journey to the union for the good time that is Operations. I take the A bus to do this. In the past, I have been gun-shy about buses, because I had a bad experience, called the NU. We all know how bad the NU is, running 30 min late, 15 min early, drivers taking smoke breaks the stop BEFORE the PR lot, but I had faith in the A. As Chris and I approach the friendly Hillsborough street stop, the horde of other riders began to create a slight level of concern on my part. At least 15 waited in front of me. Still, I had faith in the A. So here it comes, right on time, 9:05. All is looking good until the bus actually stops and the door opens, when it becomes obvious that everyone else all along the A route had decided to ride it as well on this fine coldass morning. The frantic shuffle began, and as I approached, I felt that there could be no way the A would let me down today, I was already on the yellow steps, almost to the isle, and bus riding freedom. Then, it happened. The line stopped, the people halted the crush towards the back, and the old gray man driving the bus turned directly to me and said, "Looks like you're not getting on." That motherfucker. This left us 15 minutes to do the epic trek up the hill, in full cold weather gear. That sucked. Work was not that bad, because Stuart had miraculously returned to help put out the pit tables, and as always, Liz was there to supervise and generally do no work. As for the classes, we watched a movie on the Rwandan genocide of 1994, which was a real sobering moment. It provided the day's best dose of political irony; President Clinton giving a speech at the opening of the holocaust museum about never forgetting the lessons it taught, while 800,000 died in 100 days in Rwanda.
On a lighter note, today I saw this really short girl, perhaps a midget even, and she was amazingly hot. First time that has ever happened that I can remember. It is time to drink a Milwaukee’s best and reflect on what this day has taught us.

No comments: