Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Break in Austin

Just like Johnny Drama, I don't like classically beautiful women. They need a couple flaws; lazy eye, bad haircut, maybe a snaggletooth or two. And just like I like my women with a few flaws, I like my cities with a couple quirks as well. Being on Law School Spring Break (which is somewhat like a regular week in undergrad), I've had a chance to appreciate the cracks and kinks in the lovely veneer of ATX. It's really all about the character, because how interesting can a city with no graffiti or hippies on bikes be? The car on blocks in the alley behind my house really kicks the "keeping it real" scale up a notch or three. And the insanely unpredictable traffic situation on I-35 is so absurd it's a constant source of amusement for me (because I don't have to drive in it every day, obviously). Really, you want to live somewhere that will constantly surprise you, because if not, what is the point of getting up and going out every day? Living in Austin, I have equal chances of seeing an absolutely beautiful girl, or a bum wearing no shirt but a UT hat when I walk out my door. What happens to those people in the suburbs? Is seeing the Smith's dumbass kid shooting hoops (with poor shot mechanics, inevitably) in the driveway really going to spice up the day at the office? If you were to take chapel hill-carrboro, and sprinkle about 600,000 people on it, add a few more bars and a "river" running through it, and you'd have Austin. If you don't know why that appeals to me, well I guess you haven't been paying attention here for a while. Any city where anything can happen is fine in my book, especially one with this many places to get a drink...

No comments: