Tuesday, March 28, 2006

A crazy game of poker

Number 3 has been a long time in coming. Sadly, the source of my motivation for most blog postings is procrastination; with only 4 hours of classes, procrastination (other than the Clusterfuck the Swim Test has turned out to be) has been a non-factor in the final undergraduate semester of Alex. But with a midterm tomorrow at 11, the hour for inspiration is upon me.

3."UNC Law"- The odd game of chance that is my Law School decision process goes a bit like this: I have a hand I've built over the past four years here at UNC, all those facecard friends, random pairs that worked out (or didn't quite match up) and the unlucky number card that slipped in somehow that just keeps me from a full house or a straight. Maybe if I hold on to the Ace and clear the rest of the hand, I'll end up a winner (Austin, anyone?) or maybe I'll pull one dog of a hand. That's the gamble I'm looking at right now, and the stakes are pretty high. But something is holding up the game right now, and that something is a letter from UNC Law. I never said the acceptance letter, or the denial letter, or the waitlist letter, and the reason I never said is because I don't know which letter it will be. I'm waiting on any letter at all, and that's the problem; it's like having a 5 card hand, with 3 face down. Because until that letter gets here, I'm not playing with a full hand. And this is all the more ridiculous when one considers that on April 15th, the other schools that somehow found the time to admit a poor Phipps will be expecting some sort of Deposit to confirm my decisions. One finds it hard to throw out cards you've never seen. To further my displeasure, this is the only school to choose such a lackadaisical admissions process. Schools of all shapes and sizes have found a way to expedite the process, and these schools paid much more in postage than it will take for the roughly half-mile journey that UNC's letter will have to embark on. I would even be willing to make the journey myself to pick it up, if only I was informed that it was waiting in the appropriate receptacle. I've heard that No News is Good News, but I don't think it applies in this situation. I'm not saying that UNC will be the place I go to law school if I am allowed in, nor am I saying that I expect to be admitted. But, I am saying that I've got that gamblers itch and it's a terrible waste of time to watch the dealer keep shuffling the deck, while I sit and wait on UNC law.

No comments: