Monday, June 20, 2005

buying books

So I felt the calling of the bookstore on sunday night; yes, I'm a book nerd. Thank damnit that the barnes and noble stays open till 11. Turns out, the B&N is the late night spot, due to the fact that they have a starbucks (and I guess exams help). Still, the rows of books are quite a thing to spend some time browsing, even if books are overpriced as hell these days (why can't the cheap editions be on books less that 100 years old?) My selections made, I proceeded to the counter to make a purchase. The less than attractive girl at the counter glanced over my two selections (Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut, which I have not read; Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury, which I have), and sincerely asked if I would like to have them giftwrapped. Now, perhaps I missed something here. Maybe I read just a bit too much into this, but why is it that me, my typical unshaven self with unsophisticated white T-shirt, would need these giftwrapped? Ok then, bookbitch, I'm too dumb for these books to be for me. Guess I better go pick up some harry potter. This is why I hate going to these stores; that's why god made the internet.

2 comments:

dantheheel said...

I think they ask everybody. It's their job. Either that or everyone I've ever bought books with must appear ignorant.

dantheheel said...

of course, at the same time, I prefer to just think of the register girl as a judgemental bitch