Thursday, March 03, 2005
Sweet Melissa
So today I did my usual late afternoon routine of Cosmic Veggie Burrito and home for TV. As I sat, watching a classic Seinfield (the waiting room/cantelope/golf ball episode) I saw the new Cingular wireless commercial. Now me being a fan of music, I liked the earlier commercial with The Band (yes, the name of the band is THE BAND), and when I heard the first few seconds I knew what song was the newest choice, classic allman bros. "Melissa". This song is undoubtedly the shit, in case you aren't up on the bros. It is pretty damn cool to see commercials using classic rock that don't either rip the songs off or make them seem retarded by attaching them to some goofy campagin. I also saw a commercial for the Ring 2. Now that was a fucked up movie, not only for what happened during the movie, but the way it ended. What a badass dark ending. Also, I should clarify my position on Cultural Relavitism, in regards to a question asked about an earlier post. Personally I do not endorse the views that professor May expresses in class, I just relate them. My own views should have been made fairly clear in the post about Janet Ward and the bastard listserv, but anyway, my own opinions fall a little closer to human rights minimalism; there are a small group of basic rights that we can hope to get all societies to subscribe to, but this group is very small, and consist of only the most basic rights of man. All other rights, even rights we have here in america, are ones we cannot force other cultures to adopt. It might not gel with what popular human rights propaganda says, but in my opinion it is the most logical and most likely to succeed method of advocating Human Rights. Joshua Cohen and John Rawls are two philopshers of note in reference to this type of view. So I spent some time in Davis last night, and I realized that I love stealing songs on a high-speed network. 146 songs in 30 minutes is not too damn shabby, friend. I think I just might be in for a good asskicking next week, with 3 exams and a paper on the way. With this shit in mind, I will probably be pretty boring this weekend. This morning was a small glimpse of what's to come; I woke up about 10 minutes before time for the bus, didn't shower, cooked a hotpocket and brushed my teeth before it was done, so I had to eat it after brushing, erasing all progress achieved. I didn't get to eat it all the way, and as we ran down the trail to catch the bus on time, I threw the hell out of it and hit the strange manhole cover that mysteriously stands in the middle of the woods. Boom! Turkey Broccoli and Cheddar explosion. At work I changed the background of the computer to a picture from the new SI swimsuit online content, a real good one of Marissa Miller. Wonder how long that will last on the computer? Probably about as long as the ill-fated Co-ed poster that lasted all of 1 weekend on the wall. Well then, allow myself to excuse....myself, cause I need to eat and sleep and do work and watch Basketball.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
cultural relativism is pretty weak, IMO, and falls apart in light of those few basic rights you touched on
Rawls, he's got a good one going...
Post a Comment