Thursday, April 07, 2005
Actually, I'm switching to beer.
Well it has been quite a week here in CH. And with that amazingly ridiculious first sentance, we will begin the narrative. We won the National Championship. We got drunk. Chris fucked up his face, to the point where old people get scared when he is at hardee's. Things burned. I bought a 40oz. from TJ's campus beverage, and drank it in an alley with random people from Freshman Orientation. Most importantly, we won the National Championship, with Power. Today as I walked to the locker room in Fetzer, I passed Sean May, QT and Marvin Williams on their way to woolen. I gave them a congradulatory nod. This will hopefully ensure that Marvin and Sean return next year; if not, I did all I could. I saw Lost in Translation today, and I think Bill Murray, despite his affection for Illinois, is a funny, yet very human actor. Scarlett Johanson, well, she is pretty hot, and spends alot of time in panties. Japanese people do weird things, American people realize they are fucked up and have awkward moments, and the girl from scary movie makes blondes everywhere look like idiots. Good times. Also of monumental occasion is the passage of a bill in the house to create a lottery in North Carolina, a step that signals either the coming of fiscal stability, or the emminent damnnation of our eternal souls (depending on your political/religous affiliations, of course.) As we all know, lotteries are nothing but a mass-marketed tax on the guilible poor. But, since Virginia, Tennesse, South Carolina, and Georgia all have them, it seems that the tax is being levied on OUR poor and guilible citizens, as border residents cross the line in droves to play the pick 6 or what have you. So with this in mind, it is far past time that we ourselves began to capitalize, not to mention the fact that Govenor Easley has been planning it into the budget since he was elected. Now, obviously, the argument for having a lottery because all the other states have one seems on the surface to be about the same as if everyone else was jumping off bridges, we should as well. But actually, nah, it isn't quite that simple. If and when people from North Carolina cross the line to buy tickets, they give money to other states, propping up their treasuries with our money. It is bad for a state to steal money from its citizens; it is far worse for another state to steal money from our citizens. It is more like developing a Nuclear program because the neighboring country does so; you don't want to, but there is no rational way you cannot. Prisoner's Dilemma anyone? Not that it will be the magic bullet to solve monetary problems in NC, but at least it keeps Georgia from paying for GT and UGA with our money. Another action that should be copied quickly from our neighbors is the ability to sell beer above 6% alcohol, and in packs larger than 24. What are you really keeping us from doing besides enjoying the economies of scale and efficiency? As long as we are all going to hell, it might as well be a quick fall down (At least we have radar detectors; how is that ban working out for you VA?)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment